Welcome!

I thought I would create a space to share some of my life thoughts as well as some my life's adventures and misadventures. I am not sure what is in store for this Blog. I love God, I love my wife, I enjoy reading, kayaking, cooking, thinking about ways to sustainably help the world's poor, and leaving a smaller carbon footprint on this planet—Steve G’s Eclectic World. As life is both an experiment and a journey so is this blog. I hope that you will take what you like and leave the rest.



Friday, December 30, 2011

SOME THOUGHTS ON MATTHEW 5:20

Matthew 5:20 “For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.” 
This passage really stuck out to me today.  It stuck out for two reasons.  First, because of what it does not say.  And secondly, the ambiguity it leaves open for interpretation.
The Pharisees were known to be strict adherents to the Judaic law.  This would lead one to believe that the Pharisees would rank high on the ladder of righteousness.  Therefore, it would be hard to surpass their righteousness.  Of course, one could make the argument that Jesus was being sarcastic and downplaying the importance of the Law.  Yet, if we go back to verse 17 we find that Jesus states the following: “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.”
Interesting that with the “Law” Jesus mentions the “Prophets” as well.  The Prophets who perpetually spoke out against injustices and perhaps this is what the Pharisees were missing. Because of the Pharisees’ myopic view of the law that strives to have everything on the surface look as it should, while neglecting the deeper issue of injustice that surrounded them they lacked righteousness. 
This takes us back to what first stuck out to me with this passage—what it does not say.  I think many in our church today would more expect this passage to say, “For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the poor who are too lazy to get a job, the prostitute that whores herself, the drug addict that refuses to turn his life around, the rapists and murderers that steal life from others, and the terrorists who blow up buildings, people and themselves, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.”  For many of us this sets an easy standard to make it to heaven or for what it means to live righteously.  Ironically, however, it is those listed in the re-quote that Christ came for—he came for all, but if you read the scriptures closely it is apparent they are for who he came for the most.  It was Shane Claiborne who pointed out that much of early Christianity grew because a former terrorist and Pharisee by the name of Paul recognized his acts of injustice, repented and started following the One he persecuted.

1 comment:

  1. nice post steve... good to see you still being challenged and challenging with scripture... here's to an epic 2012 full of God shaped things...

    ReplyDelete